Saturday, May 28, 2011

TONITE - THE NEEDFUL LONGINGS - PDX

 
Hey there Portland, I'm here to tell you about an amazing show happening tonite!  My friend Sean Croghan's band The Needful Longings is opening for Subpop popernauts Jaill!  The Needful Longings consists of Sean Croghan (Crackerbash, Jr. High), Chris Slusarenko (Guided By Voices, Boston Spaceships), Jim Talstra (The Dharma Bums, Maroons) and Paulie Pulverenti (Jr. High, Elliott Smith).  So much talent in this group.  I'm hoping I can hit this, but times are tough in this economy, if I can't make it, I will at least write about it.  


http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Needful-Longings/121043344638365

I remember in 1991 or 1992, when Crackerbash came to play in my small town at the college in Eastern Washington.  I was 16, and pretty much went to any sort of rock show that came up.  As a result, early on in my teens, I was able to see many amazing bands of the 90's.  Mudhoney, Steel Pole Bathtub, the Melvins, The Fastbacks, Hazel, Heatmiser, Treepeople, Unwound, and yes Crackerbash!  At that point in my life, never had I seen a band harness so much energy on stage.  Screaming into the microphone, Croghan swung his guitar around his body like some sort of out of control sprinkler hose, feedback blaring, a storm of energy surging into blissful punk rock anthems, his guitar duct taped to his body.  This band alone heavily influenced me as a musician and performer.  After that show, I knew.  I wanted to rock.  And now, 20 years later, Sean is my friend.  Greatest honor was when my band, ...WORMS opened for Crackerbash at the infamous Crocodile Cafe in Seattle.  Our singer was ejected from the venue, after consuming many a PBR, and in a fit of joyful catharsis tried to toss one of the monitors at the band.  I think they laughed it off, as his intention was to show them his love.

I couldn't find any good live videos of Crackerbash, but here is a track on Youtube:




And here is a ...WORMS vid!




So go check out The Needful Longings tonite, I assure you they will not disappoint!


And Jaill is pretty good too!




No comments:

Post a Comment