Thursday, May 19, 2011

BEER BLAST

If you like beer and live in Portland, you have no excuse for not visiting the Horsebrass Pub on SE Belmont. 

http://www.horsebrass.com/

With over 50 different beers to choose from, about 30 of which are constantly rotating, many a night have been spent drinking up these suds.  They offer 20 oz imperial pints (whoa), and, what I fondly call, "the little guy", the half pint version.  I'll often work with these "little guys", so that I am able to try more beers without getting completely trashed.  Usually, I'll work my way through whatever IPAs, Kolsch, Sours, and other Belgian style beers they have, but last night I stuck with the amazing circuit of IPAs HB was offering.  Or as I'll refer to it as... THE TRIFECTA!






I started with a pint of Russian River's Bling Pig IPA.

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/brews.html

Light Malt, bitter hoppiness, some fruitiness, citrus, but none of this is overpowering.  Overall a nicely balanced very drinkable IPA, but... I do feel Russian River's Pliny the Elder is a much more interesting beer. 

Next I had a "little guy" of PDX's local hero, Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot Double IPA.  A much different IPA than the former.

http://www.hairofthedog.com/index.html





I'm not sure if you can tell from this photo, but this beer is almost murky.  It's cloudy and has sort of a peach golden hue to it.  This is good, this is definitely one of my top 5 beers.  Notes of honey, apricots, citrus, and flowers give this beer a hefty blast of aroma.  Hoppy bitterness and grassy notes balance nicely with the fruitiness of it.  It's thick, and I ended up having two "little guys", because it's so good.

In between the two LGs of Blue Dot, I had an LG of Walking Man IPA.  Walking Man Brewing Co. is out of Stevenson, WA along the Columbia Gorge.  This is a very drinkable IPA, a nicely balanced hoppy, fruity, malty IPA. 

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment